New Reply  Post Thread 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

graduate 

[Image: lockdown-lessons-pix-700x391.jpg]

By Daisy Luther

The lockdown that recently took place due to the pandemic was like a practice run for a bigger SHTF event. Many of our prepper theories played out and were accurate, while others weren’t as realistic as we thought beforehand.
People who weren’t preppers already learned a lot about why they would want to be better prepared in the future, but they weren’t the only ones who learned lessons. These preppers took a moment to answer questions about the lessons they learned during the lockdown. (Here’s an article about the things I learned.)

What did you learn about preparedness during the lockdown?

Trisha…
I learned two main things. First, I was very surprised at how strongly the isolation hit me. I am a person who is “energized” by interacting with other people. I knew that already, but I was shocked at how MUCH it affected me. Second, I got a taste of normalcy bias. I kept trying to see ways in which our situation was still “Normal”. As a school teacher of little ones for thirty years, I was pretty much used to switching into action immediately to deal with a crisis and putting my feelings on the back burner. So, I was shocked that it took me a couple of months to “accept” the changes in our lives and start looking for creative ways to make life work and meet our needs.

Maria…
I learned it is so important to pay attention to what’s going on and stay ahead of the crowd. My husband and I were able to stock up two weeks before everyone else panicked. I also learned my plan of being stocked up and shopping only for replacements is a great system. For example I have 3 jars of mayo on the shelf, when I open one I put it on the list to purchase next time and replenish. Same with Costco TP. Every time I shop there I grab one package. We didn’t even go through half our stock pile and I was able to leave it for those who really needed it. I also learned to listen to your instincts, inner voice, the spirit, God or whatever you call it. I listened every time and we have made it through very comfortably. Also, look for opportunities to help others prepare. I have gotten several people to prepare seriously because of staying ahead of everyone else. I couldn’t have done what I did with[out] Daisy and her spot on articles. Like I said earlier, they kept me two weeks ahead of the crowd.

Annabel…
That things happen really fast. If you act when things happen it is too late. Act now.

Judith…
That prepping is far more than one type of crisis. Organization of preps is vitally important ( I am still not where I need to be). Having a list of recipes and items needed helps with how and what to shop for. Alternative sources for cooking, cleaning etc. are important.

Maya…
...and many more...

LINK

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire

I prepped for a pandemic but I really was not prepared for this type of pandemic. My preps were for a total isolation pandemic. With Covid, jobs still continued. Going out everyday to work depleted my resources fast. Gloves, masks and bleach wipes were stored but I never planned on using upwards of 4 pairs of gloves per day.

Learning to use what you have was a great lesson. Cooking and not having an ingredient had me pulling out cook books. I realized many of the current cookbooks call for specific spices and specialty items. It was quickly realized that my Mom's old cookbook was the best resource. Current how to books seem to be written with the mindset of go out and buy the items you need to put it together. Have been pruning my library, keeping the Foxfire books and donating the latest preppers manual.

New Reply  Post Thread