New Reply  Post Thread 
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Lousy thieving shysters, many moons ago probably more than a dozen, I was flirting with the ideal of screwing together my own MyBB site and I came up with a name I liked. At the time I wasn't committed to getting started, but I wanted to find out how much a domain name would set me back for future reference. I couldn't complain about the prices, but I made the mistake of plugging my name into their search form to see if the name was available, it was! Of course I was pretty much aware of that fact because when I typed it into my browser it would return an error trying to locate the address.

Fast forward many moons and I decide to go for it, but it seemed the domain name registrar liked my name also and at some point in time registered it for themselves, so could they could offer it at a premium. Why you lousy thieving shysters, I should have but I didn't complain, annoyed, I noticed they hadn't registered my name under ".net" so long story short...

End of 1st rant.

A little more history FYI, I put this site on a Digitalocean droplet which is a virtual server making me the full blown web master. Master? It took 3 days to get the site working when the tutorial I was following said it should take about an hour. The problems ended up being edits to varying server.conf files that were omitted by the tutorial. The tutorial sucked, so did the MyBB theme. So I download a responsive theme and started tweaking on it trying to get it to look somewhat like LOP.

At this point the theme displays correctly on desktops and laptops, however I'm going to have to do some more tweaking on various media breaks in the style sheet to get it to display right on mobile devises. No biggie, the biggie turns out is the fact that my server doesn't have access to email software. Now I got to figure out how to setup an email server on my droplet. In order to do that I need to back-up the work I have done so far, because I might end up blowing this place up trying to get an email server installed. In the meantime...

Welcome to my nightmare, if you've read this far maybe you wouldn't mind creating a post to say hi, or leave some constructive criticism on the site layout, or better yet bring us up to date on the latest conspiracy.

Til Then

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Hi...i read it.

Good luck and such~

Chakana my first poster I'm actually kind of thrilled to get a reply! Thanks for your input, do check back from time to time.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire

My Grandfather always used the word shyster. It was usually in reference to car sales men. Grandpa bought a new car with cash every three years. He would rant about how those shysters wouldn't even give him a full tank of gas.

Congrats on your grand opening.

Was this place created for the Fringe refugees? 

Huh

this is not a fringe refuge. site created before it went down.

[quote pid='16' dateline='1594050271']
[/quote]

The theory there is, it's quite possible someone had foreknowledge of an impending closure so they started building another site with a less demanding host.

Oh great now what's the matter? The quoted text is not being displayed correctly, why?

Quote:This is a quote? Maybe?    Confused

(07-06-2020, 12:08 PM)Refugee Wrote:  My Grandfather always used the word shyster. It was usually in reference to car sales men. Grandpa bought a new car with cash every three years. He would rant about how those shysters wouldn't even give him a full tank of gas.

Congrats on your grand opening.

Was this place created for the Fringe refugees? 

Huh

Thank you Refugee! This place was created for the public in general.

I think your grandfather's use of vocabulary outs him as a very intelligent person.

(07-06-2020, 04:56 PM)Lordy x2 Wrote:  Oh great now what's the matter? The quoted text is not being displayed correctly, why?

Quote:This is a quote? Maybe?    Confused

The problem it seems, is when you click the reply button under a post and it auto quotes the post. For some reason it doesn't display right. That don't matter because I don't like the auto quote feature and I going to fix it so when you click the reply button the editor opens up with an empty text area. Also the actual quote button is kind of whack in that it has a plus sign on it that changes to a minus sign when you click on it. What it doesn't do is import the text to be quoted into the editor, not until you click the reply button. Every other MyBB site I've seen you click the quote button and the editor opens with quoted text already tagged. That might be confusing for some.

Oh well I guess people can figure that out, I did, eventually.

I`m considering this forum, but I hate some of the shyte that`s gone on in the past on other boards...your move @Lordyx2.

(07-06-2020, 10:23 PM)Haz Wrote:  I`m considering this forum, but I hate some of the shyte that`s gone on in the past on other boards...your move @Lordyx2.

Wow, sounds like you'd make a hardcore moderator. I haven't authored the terms of service yet, but I'm pretty sure it will mention that user infighting will not be tolerated. That said, I doubt it can be totally avoided. Trolls are going to troll, and people are going to vent. About all you can do is issue warnings and if they go unheeded,,, user bans.

That said I don't think it's wise to knock your membership down just because a user won't conduct themself in accordance with a loosely written TOS. Depends on the user and how far over the line they stepped.

Good answer!!!, I will reg up in the near term...I have many friends.. some nice and some not so nice....they all speak from the heart though...

(07-07-2020, 12:18 AM)Haz Wrote:  Good answer!!!, I will reg up in the near term...I have many friends.. some nice and some not so nice....they all speak from the heart though...

Well then, I guess  I need to get my email system setup so that can happen. But at any rate welcome aboard, be careful on the gangplank so that you are not trampled by all the other new members trying board. 

Smile

Heh...

Head on a swivel.

Best of luck on this board...

~We don`t survive without each other~

Awesome new space...looking forward to listening in

You still have some problems here @Lordyx2 get this sorted and I`ll be back...I cannot activate my account if I`m not sent an activation notice...dig in and fix this...

(07-07-2020, 10:58 PM)Haz Wrote:  You still have some problems here @Lordyx2 get this sorted and I`ll be back...I cannot activate my account if I`m not sent an activation notice...dig in and fix this...

Yeah the problem is driving me nuts. Everything works with the exception that it don't work. Nobody will accept emails from this domain and they just get bounced back to a system folder as undeliverable. I did happen to notice that I had a user waiting activation so I OKed that and set your PW to the front part of your email address ending on the 2. So you should be able to log in and change your password to whatever you want.  Lastly, for the moment...

Welcome aboard!

(07-06-2020, 04:49 PM)Lordy x2 Wrote:  [quote pid='16' dateline='1594050271']

The theory there is, it's quite possible someone had foreknowledge of an impending closure so they started building another site with a less demanding host.
[/quote]

Now then, what do we know?

(07-08-2020, 06:53 PM)Inspector Clouseau Wrote:  
(07-06-2020, 04:49 PM)Lordy x2 Wrote:  
(07-06-2020, 03:44 PM)SOME NAME Wrote:  this is not a fringe refuge. site created before it went down.

Now then, what do we know?

And when did we know it!  I could tell you but then I'd have to... not buy you a beer.

Smile 

I will tell you, it looks like the problem with the quote deally not displaying is, behind the quote is supposed to be a ='some name' no equal sign and name, wrapped in single quotes breaks it.

Why does the flag plugin think everybody is from NYC?

New Reply  Post Thread